Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Pasta with Spinach and Butternut Squash Sauce



I discovered this recipe a few years ago when I was trying to look for healthy versions for a creamy pasta dish. At the time it was a foreign idea to use squash as a sauce, but I tried it and we really enjoyed it. Since then I've seen it all over the place. You can even buy butternut squash pasta sauces in a jar. I can promise you though, this is better than anything you could buy in a jar.

The original recipe calls for sausage, which I can imagine would be VERY delicious, but I obviously omitted it. It also calls for fresh sage leaves. I never have fresh herbs on hand and I never can justify the money in buying them for just one dish (remember, starving student mode here...) but by all means add it. I'm sure it's delicious. (Aside: this is probably what separates me from the REAL food bloggers and makes me a mediocre cook. Someday when finances are easier, maybe I will be able to fulfill my food blogging potential and splurge on the good stuff!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pasta with Spinach and Butternut Squash Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Servings: 5

Tip: Peeling a butternut squash is no fun. Here's how I've started to do it: poke the squash all over with a sharp knife and then stick it in the microwave for 7-9 minutes, let it cool and then it's soft enough to peel and seed easily. 

1lb butternut squash, peeled and diced (about the size of a medium squash)
2 TB butter
12 oz of pasta (rotini, bowtie, etc.)
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste


  • In a large pot, bring salted water to boil
  • Add butternut squash to water and boil until it is fork tender
  • Remove squash from water with slotted spoon and place in blender and blend until smooth
  • Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions 
  • While pasta boils, melt butter in large, deep skillet and saute onions and garlic until soft
  • Add squash to onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste
  • Add baby spinach and parmesan cheese to sauce
  • If sauce is a little thick, add some pasta water until it reaches your desired consistency
  • Add cooked and drained pasta to sauce and mix until coated


3 comments:

  1. But you want to be unique, right? So it's a good thing. You eat healthy on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. I love butternut squash. I will have try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing! It was so good, and so simple. My husband and I both had seconds. He kept trying to guess all the ingredients in the sauce. He thought it was so complex. I loved the ease of peeling the squash with your microwave method. I usually dread the job, but this was easy. And, like you, I didn't have any fresh sage, but I don't think it needed it. Thank you for a great dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete