Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Sweet Potato Curry Soup


Not everyone is a fan of curry, but if you are, then I would definitely give this soup a try. And if you're not, try it anyway. It may surprise you! It is so delicious and perfect on a cold winter night.

I based the recipe off of this one from KatieAtTheKitchenDoor.com. I left out the lentils and the orange juice and increased the coconut milk. We had lentils for dinner the night before, so I wanted a break from them. Plus, with brown rice I didn't feel like it needed the lentils. The orange juice just sounded funny to me to add to curry. It totally could be delicious, but I didn't want to risk it...(maybe I should be more risky with my cuisine? hmm....I'll have to ruminate on that one..)

I followed the recipe and roasted the sweet potatoes first to give it more depth of flavor. But you could totally skip that step if you're crunched for time and just simmer is on low heat for longer until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet Potato Curry Soup
Prep time: 1 hr Cook time: 30 minutes Servings: 6
Recipe adapted from: www.katieatthekitchendoor.com

3 large sweet potatoes, diced
2 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper
2 Tb butter
1 large onion, diced
2 shallots, minced
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 Tb curry powder
2 Tbs freshly grated ginger
4 C vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
3 cups cooked brown rice
cilantro for serving

  • Mix sweet potato with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put on a large sheet pan and roast at 400 F for 35-45 minutes or until they start to get some good roasted color on them and then set aside. 
  • In large, heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, saute onions and shallots in butter for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add turmeric, curry and ginger to onions and shallots and cook an additional minute until the spices become fragrant. 
  • Add vegetable broth and sweet potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
  • Then turn the heat down and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes. 
  • Add coconut milk after soup has simmered, then using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. If too thick, then add a bit more stock. 
  • Serve in a bowl with a large scoop of brown rice and cilantro

2 comments:

  1. Oooh. I'll have to try this. I have curry powder that always smells delicious but the recipes I've tried with it have always turned out meh. (All two of them). This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally how I feel about my curry powder...I've finally figured out that it's not the curry, but the recipe that's to blame!

      Delete