Monday, February 27, 2017

Vegetable Lo Mein


I've had a vegetable lo mein recipe ready to post for ages now. I figured it was time to post it, but before I did I wanted to make some again. I came across a different recipe than what I made last time and I decided to give it a try. Oh man am I glad I did. This recipe from Damn Delicious is so good and then best part? It's SO EASY and quick. I'm pretty sure it took me a total of 30 minutes from start to finish.

And in true Rare Knife fashion I made a few changes. First, I used fresh Buitoni linguine. I couldn't find any lo mein egg noodles and this is the closest I could find. Next time I might try to find some at the Asian market up the street, but these actually worked great. When I threw the sauce together it didn't seem like enough, so I doubled it, only adding half and keeping the rest at the ready if I felt like it needed it. It did. In fact, I actually added about a TB of cornstarch to the remaining sauce before adding it to the noodles to help the sauce stick to the food and so it's not so runny. The last change I made was using cabbage instead of the snow peas. I'm not a huge fan of snow peas (except that one time when I was pregnant and craved them one day...it was the weirdest craving I've ever had). The cabbage nicely bulks up the dish and adds a great texture, IMHO. (See that right there? It means, "in my honest opinion." It's what the cool kids say.) Oh and I added some onion!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vegetable Lo Mein
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Servings: 4

Recipe adapted from: damndelicious.net  

8 oz Fresh linguine or fresh lo mein noodles
1 Tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large yellow onion
2 cups of sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper

Sauce:
4 Tb soy sauce
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tb cornstarch

  • Start by whisking together the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ground ginger, and cornstarch and set it aside
  • Boil noodles according to package directions and then rinse and drain well and set aside
  • In a large saute pan or wok heat oil over medium high and saute onion, mushrooms, pepper and carrots for about 5 minutes or until tender, adding the garlic in halfway through. 
  • Add cabbage and spinach to pan and stir until wilted.
  • Add sauce to pan, and gently stir for 1-2 minutes until the sauce is thickened and then add noodles and stir until well combined. 
  • Add salt and pepper to taste and serve 

1 comment:

  1. Chef Knife - ELAZRA Pro 8 Inch Kitchen Knife High Carbon Stainless Steel #blade - Razor Sharp, Superb Edge Retention, Stain & Corrosion Resistant Knives – Ergonomic Best Quality
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9F3PYF?ref=myi_title_dp

    ReplyDelete